Albion Rovers 2 Stenhousemuir 2: Last gasp goal salvages point for Coatbridge men

Albion Rovers struck right at the death to stay unbeaten in League Two after David Wilson produced a stunning equaliser.

The sides were level at the break after a big shout for a penalty from the hosts fell on deaf ears and the game burst into life when Rovers found the breakthrough through Scott Robert four minutes into the second half.

Brian Reid’s men looked relatively comfortable, but two goals in six minutes for the visitors turned the game on its head as Thomas Orr rifled home from range and then Robert Thomson headed home what looked like the winner.

But in the 90th minute Wilson curled a superb strike into the top corner from 20 yards to earn a point in the pouring rain at Cliftonhill.

Kyle Doherty was left frustrated

Rovers made two changes from last week’s win over Edinburgh City, where the match was completed with just one assistant referee running the line in bizarre circumstances.

Alfie Robinson dropped to the bench and Jamie McKernon missed out, as James McGowan and Scott Roberts were brought into the first 11, and the Warriors named the same line-up that started last week’s opening day defeat to Stirling Albion.

The hosts got the first sight at goal after five minutes when Kyle Doherty stole possession off the toes of Nicky Jamieson on the edge of the Warriors’ box, but his strike was just to high to beat the backtracking Ryan Marshall in goal.

More sports news from across Lanarkshire

Rovers keeper Cammy Binnie was called into action for the first time after 17 minutes when he made a comfortable save from a Robert Thomson header, after he had been picked out unmarked from Ross Forbes’ terrific free-kick delivery into the box.

Binnie was tested again moments later when Forbes went direct from a free-kick out wide and he fisted a fierce strike away from danger at his near post.

Thomson had an diving header cleared off the line by Jamie Leslie as the visitors enjoyed a spell of sustained pressure on the home defence.

Rovers were screaming for a penalty on the half hour mark. Declan Byrne pinched possession off of Sean Crighton just inside the box and he appeared to barged as he went through on goal, but referee Ross Hardie wasn’t interested as a furious Byrne lay grounded.

Declan Byrne shouts for penalty as Sean Crighton barges him over

Four minutes later Jamieson was caught out yet again, this time by Doherty, on the opposite side of the box. And just as it looked like the Rovers striker had found the far corner with a low effort, the ball took a strange bobble off the Cliftonhill surface and ended up just wide of the target.

Rovers were dealt a blow at the break when star man Charlie Reilly was forced to come off and he was replaced by Lewis Wilson.

Byrne burst through on goal two minutes into the second half and should really have done better after using the bounce of the ball to escape his defender. His weak effort from the edge of the box was comfortably collected by Marshall.

Down the other end, the hosts had a lucky escape when Thomas Orr’s attempted lob found only the side netting as Binnie rushed out.

Albion Rovers boss Brian Reid

But the deadlock was broken on 49 minutes. Kyle Doherty collected the ball on the edge of the box and his deft through ball found Robert, who kept his cool to tuck the ball away into the far corner with the help of the post.

As the heavens opened up with an intense downpour at Cliftonhill, the Warriors managed to find their way back into the game and in 63 minutes the equalised when Thomas Orr’s thumping strike flew past Binnie and smacked the underside of the crossbar on its way into the net.

And the game was completely turned on its head six minutes later when Thomson headed home at the back post from substitute Darren Christie’s cross to stun Rovers.

In the dying minutes, Binnie produced a stunning save to deny Euan O’Reilly a third for Warriors.

And then in the 90th minute David Wilson stepped up to curling a sizzling strike into the top corner to send the Rovers fans into raptures.

It was a well-deserved point for Rovers and next week, they make the trip to Elgin as they bid to return to winning ways.

ALBION ROVERS: Binnie, Lynas, Leslie, El Zubaidi, McGowan, C Wilson, Robert, D Wilson, Doherty (Stevenson 74), Byrne, Reilly (L Wilson 46).

Scorers: Robert 49, D Wilson 90

Bookings: McGowan, Leslie, Byrne

Subs not used: Robinson, Fernie, Fee, Smith, Dolan, Fagan, Stevenson.

STENHOUSEMUIR: Marshall, Lyon, Coll, Jamieson, Crighton, Wedderburn, Forbes (O’Reilly 60), Lyon (Christie 60), Brown, Thomson, Orr (Anderson 81).

Scorers: Orr 63, Thomson 69

Bookings: Jamieson

Subs not used: Hughes, Tierney, Graham, Mills, Wilson, Reid.

Ref: Ross Hardie

HT: 0-0

All the latest sport news in Lanarkshire

All the latest sport news in Lanarkshire

Follow Lanarkshire Live Sport onTwitter via@LanLiveSport, like us onFacebookor find us onInstagramfor the latest sports news, pictures and video.

Daily Record – Motherwell